Accommodation, Businesses and more pictures from Flekkefjord
Flekkefjord muncipality has approximately 9.100 inhabitants and covers a area of 543,5 km2. The town has a beautiful, sheltered location between the fjords of Grisefjorden and Flekkefjorden, and is characterised by the old, picturesque wooden houses, some of which are listed. The town flourished with the rich herring fishing of 1820 - 30s and Flekkefjord was an important port for the export of timber to the Netherlands. The oldest part of town is called "Hollenderbyen" (Dutch town), and it has many listed wooden houses and a unique history. After a new municipality zoning arrangement in 1965, Flekkefjord also included the former surrounding counties of Nes, Hidra, Bakke and Gyland.
Outside Flekkefjord there is a beautiful archipelago. Its largest island is Hidra where one of the many sights is "Fedrenes Minne", an excellent museum with a collection of artifacts depicting the island's history. The fjord is the nerve center for the people of Flekkefjordrd. Through times, the fjord has been the life line to the rest of the world with ships coming from and going to all corners of the world. Today the fjord is the main recreation attraction.
Egenes Camping offers "Rixen", a cable waterski facility suited for the whole family. There are also plenty of activities for those who prefer solid ground under their feet, croquette, dart, trampoline, volleyball, playground, soccer field, mini-golf, boat rental, horseback riding, and rockclimbing for children.
Hollenderbyen, or the "Dutch town" got its name because of the close ties with Holland. The merchants stayed in this part of town, hence the name. Meandering through the narrow streets, one still finds quaint little houses with lace curtains and potted plants on the window sills. During the 18th century, trade with Holland was at its peak, and riches werw made from, among other things, export of oak timber. Amsterdam is built on oak pols from Flekkefjord. The people bonded with each other, and more than one Dutchmann found a wife in the area.
Some customs are still to be found. For example, when children play "odd man out", the counting goes as follow:
Anniken, Fanniken, Finken, Foken, Den forbistrede bondekonken or Ana, Drana, Drina, Druks, kontra, fira, fem og seks.
Bim Bam Rotteridam, Silkemaria, Born for Kia, I Vi Vekk.
Hidra, with its approximately 600 inhabitants is called "The Pearl of Southern Coast". Hidra has a unique fauna and flora and several historical sites. The island is well worth a visit. The island has two settlements, Rasvåg and Kirkehamn, where the old and new blend beautiful. There is a viable fish industry on the island, but many of the people work in the town. The museum showing the history of the island is in Rasvåg, while the beautiful church built in 1854 is in Kirkehamn.
Andabeløy is another idyllic little island. On the northern side of the island people have lived for generation. They lived close to nature and are very independent. Here one does not need a car. The settlement is small, but there are some wonderful hikes up in the hills. These trails are also well marked. Andabeløy can also claim one of the contrys smallest elementary schools with only a handful of students.
The museum is housed in Flekkefjord's oldest building and is presented as the home of a wealthy family. From the early 19th century and up to World War I. The museum can also be opened by prior arrangement. Contact the Tourist Infomnation Office.
The museum has a maritime character. Open by arrangement and during the weekends during the summer months.
In 1660 Flekkefjord was granted the status of town without full urban status under the administration of Kristiansand. Since the 1500s Flekkefjord had an "export-harbour" for timber to be shipped to Holland. During 1600s the Dutch came here to ship granite back to Holland for the dikes, roads and harbour. Around 1750 herring became an important part of the economic life of the town. Flekkefjord was then considered the largest export harbour for herring on the South coast of Norway. The herring catch created an economic boom in the period 1826-38.
In 1842 Flekkefjord was granted "self-governing status" as a town and from then an experienced a period of growth and prosperity. During these years the town acquired the essential shape it has retained since. Tanneries were built and alongside shipbuilding and shipping they became the most important industry. But as to shipping Flekkefjord lost out around the turn of the century, as sails gave way to steam.
The sea gradually lost its importance, as can be seen in the way the town was built. Up till 1900 new housing was concentrated in the town center. After the turn of the century new houses grew up on the east side, "Sunde". A bridge across the river was built in 1839. After the town fire in 1878 "Brogaten" was laid out, and gradually this street developed into a main street. The town has been spared from any extensive town fires after 1878 and the pattern streets and buildings therefore look more or less the way they did a century ago.
In 1904 a railroad connection to Egersund was finished. The railroad station was built on the east side, Sunde. The Flekkefjord railroad was closed down in 1990. After a new municipality zoning arrangement in 1965, Flekkefjord also included the former surrounding counties of Nes, Hidra, Bakke and Gyland.
Old route between Sira and Moi. Veteran car rallies arranged from time to time. Open during the summer months.
From 1904 to 1990 Flekkefjord Railroad wax of utmost importance to the well being of the town. It was the link between the town and the main rail connection between Stavanger and Oslo. However, times change, and the railroad is no longer necessary as a communication link. New Years Eve, 1990, the last train went from Flekkefjord to Sira. The train may be gone, but the rail road is still there, 17 km and 17 tunnels, winding its way from the center of Flekkefjord to Sira through a bucolic landscape.
Friends of Flekkefjord railroad is a group of valunteers who work to preserve the railroad and make it into a living museum through active use. Biking on the specially constructed bikes used by the workmen who inspected the line, has become a popular activity, especially for the families with children.
FLEKKEFJORD SPORTS RIDING CLUB
Riding School, show jumping, driving a pony and trap, pony trekking. Pony trekking with an instructor. Monday-Saturday. Day trips at the weekends. Riding for children (4-8 years). The stables are situated about 500 metres from Egenes Camping. The stables have 8 horses/ponies. For further information contact Egenes Camping.
FJELLPARK FESTIVAL - Fjellparkfestivalen was established in 1982 and is the longest running rock festival. SALMON FESTIVAL - Festival in honour of salmon. Locally produced fish products in Flekkefjord center. Family party.
Deep Sea Fishing witg normal departures on Saturdays and Sundays 9 am. Minimum of 6 people. NB! All departures have to be ordered prior to departure. Departs from Abelsnes. Fishing equipment can be hired onboard. Other agreements/events can be arranged. The trip lasts for 5 hours. Contact Egenes Camping. Deep Sea Freshwater Fihing after Eel and trout fishing in Selura by Egenes. Good possibilities for both inland fishing and seafishing (sea trout and salmon). Fishing licences.
Golfclubs in Vest Agder.