Accommodation, Businesses and more pictures from Vevelstad
Vevelstad muncipality has approximately 550 inhabitants and covers a area of 538,8 km2. The principal industries are agriculture, public services and fishing. The administration centre is Vevelstad. In Vevelstad you will find a 3-4000 year old rock-carving field, well marked from the road. The 200 year-old trading post of Forvikgården lies just by the ferry quay at Forvik.
The trade along the coast was run by townsmen. A trading centre was established in Bryggevika in the middle of the 18th century. As opposed to other places, where the trade just took place in summertime, the centre in Hamn was inhabited and operating all year. In the 1870´s, salmon fishing with wedge-shaped seins became an important trade in Hamn; in this respect, the area was regarded as the best one in Vevelstad. The road connections to Hamn was built in the 1960´s. Previously, Hamnsundet had a post and forwarding office for local ships. However, the road connection implied that these services were transfered to Hesstun.
Regardless of the time of year you visit - with the mystical Midnight sun, a spectacular thunderstorm or the magical Northern Lights. The polar night occurs when the night lasts for more than 24 hours. This occurs only inside the polar circles.
Forvik trading centre was founded in 1792 when Søren Dass Brodtkorb established a trading- and innkeeping-licence. The old trading centre were built like miniature cities with many different kinds of buildings with dissimilar uses. During the war (1940 - 45) Forvik had a key role in resistance work and served as a hiding-place for secret servicemen. The Arntzen family, who have owned Forvik for four generations, came here in 1881. Like by-gone years, Forvik is still a junction of commerce, mail-service and expedition. One can still hire a room for the night here and sample some of the local food.
When driving along the Coastal Route, you will see both Vevelstad church and Vevelstad Bygdemuseum (Open-Air Museum). Along the way you want to see "Opus for heaven and earth" which is the county´s contribution to "Skulpturlandskap Nordland". The circle in the mountain is a symbol for continual change and yet everything repeats itself.
From Forvik you can take the express boat to the Vistenfjord, Norway’s "cleanest" fjord. This is a good point of departure for tours into large virgin natural areas. There are many ways to fish along the Vistenfjord; in the sea, river and lakes. You can also take the ferry from Forvik to Stokkasjøen, and drive from there to Visthus. The merchant market place at Visthus is a sales centre for local traditional food and arts and crafts articles. Open every weekend during the summer season.
VEVELSTAD OPEN-AIR MUSEUM
The Vevelstad reconstruction village is one of the largest of its kind in Nordland. The collection was started in 1963 and the construction from 1980 onwards. The village is a presentation of Vevelstad´s recent past. Both the village and church which lie adjacent to one another, form a heritage center at the hart of the township. The buildings, which have been moved to the site, house a permanent collection of exhibits. All of the buildings are from the nineteenth cetury, with the exception of the boathouse which was constructed moore recently to accommodate examples of the regions boats - "åttring" (eight-oared), "firroring" (four-oared) and "færing" (four- or six-oared boat).
One of the latest additions is "Torghausstua" from Brødløs which was the house of the mother and grandmother of the well-known Norwegian actor Alfred Maurstad.
A liquor store from the 1870´s has been moved here from Vågsodden. Some years as many as over 800 liters of liquer were sold over-the-counter from this store.
Other buildings of note include "Vollastua", the pillered storehouse, the cottars barn, the smitty and the "shore bothy".
There is a comprehensive collection of exhibits comprising essentially of objects of everyday use, children´s toys and home crafts from the nineteenth century. The target of ore on the site is from the 1880´s.
The name indicates that the place has been a shipping centre. In rough weather, ships sought shelter in Hamnsundet, where they often moored for long periods. Hamn is a beauty spot eith several cultural monuments.
A distinctive islet in Hamnsundet, looming above in other holms. In 1805, king Magnus Berføtt went northwards to beat down ravaging rebels. The king caught up with it in Hamn. While the rebels fled into the mountains, the two rebel leaders remained in the boats. Both were sentenced to death and hanged on Vomma, their dreadful fate being a warning to others. The king stayed in Hamn for a short perod, until the other rebels were caught.
In 1988, cave paintings were discovered in "Trollhåla" in Hamnfjellet. Located in rugged country, "Trollhåla" features a valuable ancient monument.
The southernmost island in Hamnsundet. From ancient times, the islands has been a centre of extraction of steatite for churches and production of stone vessels. As late as in the 19th century, a trail load was extracted for the cathedral in Trondheim. Traces of the quarry are still visible. The brittle steatite still features thousands of signatures carved into the rock by people who have sought a harbour of refuge. Esøya is the biggest "visitor´s book" of the Nordland coast. Runic inscriptions from the 12th century are also to be found on the island.
Hamnfjellet mountain is particularly steep when seen from Hamn. An ancient warning system included a cairn on the top of the mountain, to be lit in times of war. In such periods, the cairn was continuosly under guard. The last time it was used for this purpose, was probably in the early 19th cetury.
The church is a wooden construction which was dedicated on the 16. September 1776. As that time only about 500 people lived here. The church proved to bee too small in the 1850´s and the 60´s when a wave of new settlers came to the area. In 1871 it was extended giving the present-day appearance. During the extension many fixtures were removed but the altar piece, the pulpit and the mural on the tranverse wall of the chancel were left. These art treasures have been painted by the Italian painter Joseph Pisani (1760 - 1833).
The chasuble dates from 1796 and is possible one of the oldest still in use in Norway. The baptismal font, the altar silver and two large chandeliers are also from the 1790´s. The current church organ is one of German origin and was already in use in 1957, however an organ has existed in the church as far as the 1880´s.
Between 1979 - 80 the church underwent internal restoration. Electric heating was installed and the interior decor was repainted in the original colours used following the extension in 1871.
Deep sea fishing enthusiasts can take a fishing trip out on the ocean. You can fish for salmon, cod and halibut. Be aware that there are a number of special rules in regards to fishing. Remember to purchase a fishing licence.