Accommodation, Businesses and more pictures from Kongsvinger
Kongsvinger municipality has approximately 17.500 inhabitants and covers a area of 1.036,1 km2. Kongsvinger is known as the fortress town on the river Glomma. Situated high and free on the bend in the river called "Glomma's knee", the fortress has become the symbol for Kongsvinger. The building of the fortress was started in 1681-82 and formed the foundations for what was to become the town of Kongsvinger. The fortress was built as a defensive structure against the Swedes, and on numerous occasions there have been military engagements in the area around the fortress, but Kongsvinger fortress has never been taken in military combat.
Below Kongsvinger fortress lies Øvrebyen, which literally translated means Uppertown. This is the oldest part of the town of Kongsvinger, and one can still find a number of the original houses built after the establishment of the fortress. Kongsvinger Museum is located here, together with a museum of female emancipation in a building called "Rolighed", the home of Dagny Juel, the famous author once portraited by Edvard Munch. Øvrebyen was designated as an area of special antiquarial interest in 1973.
An active regional centre Kongsvinger is the regional centre for South Hedmark. Farming and forestry have always been important for settling and employment in Kongsvinger the building of the railway line in the 1860's gave Kongsvinger an important link to Oslo and Stockholm. The Kongsvinger line was the first Norwegian State Railway line (NSB). Large shoppingcentres and specialist shops draw people from a large area to Kongsvinger. In the northern part of the centre most of the trade and service institutions are in the streets called Brugata and Storgata, whilst in the southern part these are mostly located in Gågata and Glommengata.
The state owned company for the promotion of industrial growth, SIVA, chose Kongsvinger to build an industrial area in the late 1960's. Today Kongsvinger has a number of industrial areas. Kongsvinger is developing an ever increasing spectrum of education. The town has two upper schools which cover the theoretical and practical studies. The latest addition is the Technical High School located at Rasta.
Sportswise Kongsvinger is best known for its football team (KIL). However, there are other sports in Kongsvinger, and the town boast of a number of high quality facilities. Kongsvinger Rowing Club has a training facility at the lake called Vingersjøen, while at Sæter, Kongsvinger cross country ski club has established a training centre with asphalted paths for training on skis on wheels. For those interested in athletics, Gjemselund stadium has an artificial track surface, and an indoors ice rink.
Should there be rainshowers in the summer (it very seldom happens). Kongsvinger has an excellent swimming hall which also includes mini golf, a fitness centre and a shooting range. In the same area lies Kongsvingerhallen, a large indoor football arena and multi-sport facility. Motorsport is very strong in Kongsvinger. Events at Korperud motocross track and the Finnskog Winter Rally keep up the interest.
Kongsvinger Fortress (Kongsvinger festning) is situated on a hill west and north of the Glomma river, standing astride the ancient Vinger Royal Road, which connected Norway and Värmland, Sweden as well as on the north-south Norwegian route along the Glomma. As Kongsvinger formed a key junction point for these routes, fortifications were constructed there to protect against invasion from the east.
Following the war, fortifications were improved along the border toward Sweden. Plans were made for a star-shaped fortress and construction began in 1682 on the site of the old Vinger Sconce. The new fortress was named Königs Winger, which has since become Kongsvinger, both meaning King´s Vinger. Today, Øvrebyen, the old Kongsvinger uptown area around the fortress is dominated by wooden buildings from the 18th and 19th centuries, laid out in the typical right angle square plan - by architect Major General Johan Caspar von Cicignon - popular in this period.
Glomma, Norway's longest river, flows through the middle of Kongsvinger. At various points the river has created super beaches ideal for bathing and different forms of boating sports. Glomma is one of Norway's best rivers for fishing, and in the currents by the bridge anglers can catch many kinds of fish including trout. The numerous lakes and rivers in the district are also worth trying. Kongsvinger district has a beautiful and varied countryside, dominated by large and almost untouched forests, lakes, tarns and watercourses. It is possible to enjoy the open-air life the whole year round in many different ways. Perch, pike and different variety of carp are the dominant species. They are more numerous in the slower water of the watercourse and in the estuaries where the tributaries join. Here perch and pike can reach a considerable size. In parts of the Glom where the current is strongest, and downstream from power station dams, large trout can be found. The access to fishing along the Glomma varies. Cultivated land and undergrowth restrict access and fishing from land in many places. On both sides of the river there is a comprehensive road system. From the roads, and where the bridges cross the river, it is often possible to reach suitable fishing places. Good local knowledge is important, therefore talk to the locals! Fishing along the main watercourse is regulated to a small degree, but best in the district of Kongsvinger.
The forest called Finnskogen stretches into Kongsvinger's area. Finnskogen refers to the Finnish immigrants who settled in this area, and their customs og the 17th and 18th century are still widely practiced. Finn culture permeates the daily life as well as special occasions, rnuseurns, settlements and of course the cultural life in the area.
Finnskogleden, a 240 km long marked ramble, stretches from Magnor in the south to Søre Osen in Trysil in the north. It touches the eastern part of Kongsvinger called Varaldskogen. Kongsvinger's forests are ideal for people who want to find peace and tranquility, while at the same time experiencing the nature and history of the district, whether by foot, canoe, bicycle or car, But it's not just in the east of Finnskogen you can find marked rambles. Just outside the town centre is a network of paths through the forests, all clearly marked.
In the winter there are both illuminated tracks and well marked tracks for cross country skiing, both around Kongsvinger town and in the surrounding villages. There is also a slope for downhill skiing quite close to the town centre. In the 1600's Finns fled from powerty and crop failure in their homeland and came to this district, traces shown today by the Finnish names Särgelamp, Lebiko and Balagombo deep in the Norwegian forest. The Finns built their huts with central fireplace and a hole in the roof, bathed in their saunas and cultivated the land in traditional ways. "Svedjebruk" is the name for sowing rye in the ash from burnt spruce.
The old Finns were said to be skilled in magic. Among thousands of lakes and century old Finnish farms you can still feel the magical athmosphere. The sound of a breaking twig makes you turn suddenly and you can easily understand that some of the modern inhabitants of Finnskogen are known as weather prophets today.
The descendants of the old Finns are modern Norwegians, but they are proud of their roots. Finnskogen has its own museum, its annual Finnskog exhibiton and many restored farms. Every summer the Republic of Finnskogen is announced, an event lasting one week with many Finnish visitors. The "Finnskogleden" stretches through Finnskogen a well marked foothpath. You can walk for one day or several days and enjoy both nature and culture.
Norskansen is situated close to the bridge over Noret and was built in 1718. The idea was to establish a bridgehead on the eastern shore of Glomma in order to prevent an enemy advance between the river and the lake Vingersjøen. It is a protected area. Earth redoubt at Tråstad sund was formed in 1657-58 in order to protect the ferry against approaching on the road from Sweden towards Christiania. The redoubt was built as a pentagon with a bastion for artillery overlooking the river. A palisade was built just outside, and periodically trenches were dug both north and south of the redoubt for engagements from the flanks. The redoubt could be equipped with 3-4 cannons and a 50 man crew.
The main redoubt at Tråstad could easily be circumvented in the winter, and if an enemy could climb the hill at the rear of the redoubt, the battle would be lost. Vinger redoubt was built on the hill in 1673 to preent this from happening. King Christian Vth approved the plans for expanding and changing the redoubt in 1681, to to the new Kongsvinger fortress. The work began in 1682, but the construction was not completed until 1690. In 1823 the fortress was abandoned, but was reactivated around the turn of the century in connection with the building of a new fortress on Vardåsen. Today the fortress is the headquarters of the local defence regiment HV-04 and an officers school. The defence museum has established a branch in the fortress, and special emphasis is paid to the local military history.
Three advance ramp arts were originally built outside the ramparts, to the south, west and north. These were later converted to the covered path as we know it today. In the war years of 1807 -14 there were built new advance redoubts to the south and west of the castle to protect against enemies in the area between the fortress and Vardåsen. These redoubts werel Prince Christian August's battery at the gate at Skjæret, Norwegian Lion west of the fortress and Stattholder Friedrich's battery to the north. These were completed in 1810 and in 1812-13 were supplemented by another redoubt at the firing range.
Beneath the fortress ramparts is Aamodtgården, built in 1801 by Ole Roald Rynning. It is owned by Kongsvinger Museum, and one can wander through the apartments occupied by the Captain of the Horses, Harald Aamodt, just as they were right up to 1968. Kongsvinger Art Society also shares this building.
Rolighed was built in 1857 by Johan Heinrich Günther Schüssler from Germany. He was 22 years old when the house was built for a timber merchant. It was Schüissler's first commission as master builder and is Hedmark's oldest swiss villa. The house is better known as the childhood home of Dagny Juel. Today it is a museum of female emancipation.
Grønnerudgården in Løkkegata was built around 1770. It has had various functions and was a military hospital for many years. Owned by the same family since 1856. Protected.
Christiansengården was built in 1800. Owned by Odd Fellow. Protected.
Dahlmannsgården or Svendborg was built around 1770. It was the childhood home of Thomasine, later married to Jonas Lie, and the home of Erika Lie Nissen, a well known pianist. It is in private hands. Jonas Lie was a norwegian novelist who is considered one of the four great ones of the 19th century Norwegian literature. The others are Henrik Ibsen, Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson, and Alexander Kielland. Thomasine and Jonas Lie lived in nr 4 Jonas Liesgate, where author and actress Gjems Selmer grew up.
OLD MIDDLE SCHOOL
The old middle school, built in 1880, is today Øvrebyen Comprehensive School. It was designed by architect Nordan, and was also built by master builder Günther Schüssler.
Vinger church was built in 1697. The previous church was situated at Hov on the other side of the river Glomma. It was old, in need of repair, and under constant threat of flooding, so when the fortress was built, it was practical to build the new church in the vicinity.
KONGSVINGER RAILWAY STATION
Kongsvinger railway station is one of the oldest in the country. It was built in 1862, and was designed by architect Heinrich Schirmer and Andreas Wilhelm von Hanno.
Lunderbye-Nor is another example of Günther Schüssler's style. This house is built immediately after Rolighed, and is a lot bigger. Originally built for Arne Lunderbye from Eidskog.
Glomma is one of Norway´s best rivers for fishing, and in the currents by the bridge anglers can catch many kinds of fish including trout. The numerous lakes and rivers in the district are also worth trying. It is possible to enjoy the open-air life the whole year round in many different ways. Perch, pike and different variety of carp are the dominant species. They are more numerous in the slower water of the watercourse and in the estuaries where the tributaries join. Here perch and pike can reach a considerable size.
In parts of the Glom where the current is strongest, and downstream from power station dams, large trout can be found. The access to fishing along the Glomma varies. Cultivated land and undergrowth restrict access and fishing from land in many places. On both sides of the river there is a comprehensive road system. From the roads, and where the bridges cross the river, it is often possible to reach suitable fishing places. Good local knowledge is important, therefore talk to the locals! Fishing along the main watercourse is regulated to a small degree.
Kongsvinger Golfclub is a golf course with 9 holes and a variation of difficulties. The course lies at Liermoen.