Accommodation, Businesses and more pictures from Froland
Over the last few centuries, Froland has been closely associated with forestry and mining. In the 18th and 19th centuries the municipality was a major supplier of timber cargo to the shipbuilders in Arendal and Grimstad. The forests of Froland were rich in oak and pine, sought-after materials for frames and masts for sailing vessels. The community also has rich traditions in mining and mineral extraction. Froland muncipality has approximately 5.500 inhabitants and covers a area of 644,5 km2.
Activity previously concentrated on iron and copper mining, but this century quartz and feldspar have become the most sought-after minerals. Frolands Værk was established in 1764 and grew to become one of Norway´s largest ironworks and copper works were operated in Osedalen.
In elegant surroundings near the old ironworks, Froland Værk, lies the "Stallen", an old horse's stall converted into an art centre. There are exhibitions of arts and crafts, paintings and handicrafts by local and more famous Norwegian artists. "Stallen" is situated just beside Trevann, a wonderful bathing area.
In the space of a two-hour walk along a well-marked path, you can enter the nature reserve, Blesehelleren, and climb up on the Eierfjellet (Eier Mountain).
ØVRE LAUVRAK FARM
Norwegian stone made into mosaics. The cow shed is used as a gallery. Private museum in the barn.
It is unclear when the first church in Froland was built. But old documents state that the decision was made in 1715 to demolish the old church and erect a new one. The new church was consecrated in November 1718. Some of the contents of the demolished church were transferred to the new one: a Flemish baptismal bowl, two bronze candlesticks from the 16-17th century and parts of the old pulpit. The most valuable item in the new church must be the baroque altarpiece from 1735, as well as the woodwork of the baptismal font, dating from 1750.
A memorial gift, possibly of Dutch origin, was presented in 1775. In 1887, major reconstruction work on the church was undertaken. It was extended by several feet and was given a new chancel and sacristy. Many of the old fittings were removed. In 1938, a plan was drawn up for a comprehensive restoration of the building, but this was not carried out until after World War II. The splendid altarpiece, pulpit, baptismal font and chancel beam with its decorations, were reinstalled.
The Telemark Staves (sculptures) are made of pine, and tells about an area which has rich popular art traditions. The motifs are taken from the countryside along the RV 41. This part of Norway has even today a very living folklore, with craftsmen and -women of many areas. The colours are changing with the landscape, from the southern part to the heart of Telemark.
Fishing-rod or net (by arrangement). The salmon-type "Bleka", dwarf salmon, trout and perch. Fishing licence.