The ROYAL PALACE
The Royal Palace in Oslo is situated on a hill at the end of Karl Johans gate, Oslo's main thoroughfare, which leads from the central railway station, past the Norwegian national assembly (the Storting), the University of Oslo and the National Theatre.
The Palace was designed by Norwegian architect H. D. F. Linstow and constructed between 1825 and 1848. It was the Swedish-Norwegian King Carl Johan who in 1822 drew attention to the "need for a suitable residence for the country's Monarch" and initiated building plans. Linstow presented the design for the royal residence the following year and building commenced in 1825.The designs for the new Palace were altered several times during the construc-tion period. The final result was a flat-roofed, three-storey building in brick and plaster. The most important reception rooms are on the first floor, which has a ceiling height of 5.56 metres. The Ball Room has a ceiling height of 10.7 metres.
Decoration of the interior started in 1838 with the assistance of architects H. E. Schirmer and J. H. Nebelong. C. F. Werg-mann was the chief decorative artist; he was, among other things, responsible for the beautiful decorations in the Banqueting Hall and the Private Dining Room. J. Flintoe painted the murals in the so-called "Bird Room". The Royal Chapel was designed by Linstow. During the period of union with Sweden, 1814-1905, the Palace was used only during the King's visits to Oslo. It did not become a permanent residence for the royal family until 1905, when Danish Prince Carl, after the dissolution of the union and the national referendum, agreed to become King of Norway, assuming the name of Haakon VII.
King Haakon moved into the Palace with Queen Maud and their two-year-old son, Olav, in November 1905. Apart from the years between 1940
and 1945, when Norway was occupied by the Germans, the Palace has been the royal residence ever since. Olav V (1957-91) lived there from the time of his accession. Norway's new King, Harald V, lives and work at the Palace.