The bastion on the isle of Nyholmen was erected during the war of 1807/14 to protect the factory and settlement on Hundholmen, which later was to become the town of Bodø, against attacks by the English warships that were blockading the Norwegian coast. There was significant export of fish produds from the Hundholmen factory, and Hundholmen was important as a storehouse for grain on its way to Russia. Construction of Nyholms Skandse, as the bastion was called at the time, was planned and directed by engineer captain Friis and completed in 1810.
The bastion was armed with 4 twelve-pound and 8 eight-pound cannons. It had a garrison of as many as 150 men, mainly local conscripts. The officers, orderlies, and some of the privates came from regiments in Trondheim, south of Bodø. The bastion was disarmed and handed over to Nordland county in July 1815, and was under civil administration until it was closed down in 1835. Nyholms Skandse was never used in battle. The British warships that harried the Norwegian coast stayed away from the bastion and storehouse on Hundholmen. The defence installation had served its purpose. During the last war the Germans set up artillery and bunkers within the bastion.
They used stone and soil from the bastion embankments. Portions of Nyholms Skandse were rebuilt for Bodø's 180th anniversary, which took place on May 20,1996. The restoration will continue in stages and is a joint project between the municipality of Bodø, the armed forces, the Nordland Museum, voluntary organisations and private individuals. This will "strengthen" the historical defences which date from before the founding of Bodø, and contribute to Bodø's visual appeal as a coastal town. As the old song goes "They built, dangerously exposed to the southwest..."