THE COBALT MINES
The Royal Blaafarveværk was established in 1773 to extract cobalt ore from the local mines. The cobalt was to be used in the production of cobalt blue pigment for the world´s porcelain and glass industry. Today it is a museum in pleasant surroundings with many attractions.
The cobalt mines are seven kilometres from Blaaafarveværket and Haugfoss. They were started in 1773 and closed down 1893. In 1993, His Majesty King Harald reopened them as a museum showing an extensive mining industry in beautiful agricultural surroundings. A whole community, with houses, roads and schools grew up around this part of the cobalt industry.
The cobalt ore was pure but very sparse - only 0.02% of all the rock removed was cobalt. The rock in the cpbalt mines was extracted by heating, then rapidly cooling, later by hand-drilling andexplosives. The cobalt ore seam stretches north-south for about three kilometres. Much of the cobalt mines has been prepared for walking tours with safety fences, lookout points and bridges along the huge open cast mines from which the ore was extracted.
Lookout point 350 metres above sea level. The national Theodor Kittelsen´s museum: Paintings and wooden sculptures present this major artist with magnificent interpretations of nature and trolls in the deep woods.
This is the mines centre, with old equipment on show and exiting buildings.
Homemade hot and cold food are served. Very good parking possibilities, 12 toilets, where 3 of them are available for handicapped persons.
THE HOPE MINE
Guided tour og mines and open cast mines wearing helmets and capes. The tour is designed to allow most people to participate - even those with pushchairs or wheelchairs.