||KAUPANGER STAVE CHURCH
This church was built approximately 1180 and is one of the largest stave churches. It has freestanding masts which support the roof of the center section.
The roof of the nave was rebuilt in the 1600´s. It was at this time that the church acquired its altarpiece and pulpit, as well as the two richly carved and painted sepulchral tablets.
The church owes its present appearance to restoration work carried out in the 1960s - when the tendrils and vines painted on the walls once more came into their own.
Kaupanger Stave Church is located near Sogndal.