||TORPO STAVE CHURCH
Torpo Stave Church is the only original stave church left in Hallingdal. Orginally Hallingdal had 7 stave churches. Torpo Stave Church is the oldest church in the valley and has got the original nave from approximately 1150. The church is well-known for its more than 700 year old decorations in the ceiling.
This church is mentioned for the first time in 1425, but it is older than this. The medieval nave forms the core of Rollag stave church, although the church was enlarged and rebuilt towards the end of the 1600´s. The pulpit and the wall decorations are also dated from the 1600´s.
The church is situated in the centre of Torpo.