|Blindleia channel is a sailing area and a superb cruising area. The inner archipelago
affords plentiful opportunity for open-air activities, enjoying the
coastal scenery and outports. Blindleia channel has its own
activity map together with a brochure which contains information about
the maritime coastal culture, nature, outdoor life and local places of
historical interest. Public park. Regulations governing the use of
boats. Owned by the state, the local district authority and privately.
Blindleia channel (which means "blind or dead-end channel")
is extremely narrow, making it difficult for larger vessels to
navigate. The natural surroundings here are very beautiful, and Blindleia channel is thus a very popular site for summer tourists in small vessels.
Approximately 15 miles from Kristiansand you will find Blindleia channel. Blindleia channel is an inland waterway that starts in Gamle Hellesund in Høvåg near Kristiansand, and continues past Lillesand. It is a salt water fjord formed passage protected from the open sea by an elongated archipelago of skerries. There are several narrow gaps as part of the waterway, some of them only 10 metres wide.
Kristiansand has a trotting track, motor museum, county museum, natural history museum, nature reserves, picture gallery, Agder theatre, Christiansholm fort and, newly opened, the Kristiansand cannon museum with an original German large calibre cannon.
Far out in the Kristiansand fjord lie Flekkerøy, Oksøy and other smaller islands as well as Grønningen lighthouse. During the summer months the whole area teems with life.
Eleven miles east of the city is the Kristiansand zoo, which also includes Cardamom Town and other attractions popular with Norwegian children. In the town you can see Kristiansand zoo with a Scandinavian predatur reserve for wolves, an amusement park, an entertainment park, a bathing area and the children´s town of Cardamom town.
Høvag is the old administrative centre for the district of Høvag. Fused with Vestre Moland and Lillesand districts in 1962. There is the old council house, old people´s home, post office, bank and shops. The old parsonage in Høvag (now privately owned) was the childhood home of the poet Gabriel Scott. Guided tours in Gabriell Scott´s Høvag. Combined tour by bus-boat where the place names in Høvag mentioned in Gabriell Scott´s works are presented. Meeting point beside Høvag Church.
Ulvøysund is an old harbour which is also known by foreign ships. It is called Wolfsund
on an old Dutch map from 1588. Nobody knows how long there have been
people living here permanently, but the inn, the big house on the east
side of the Skolebrygga, is said to be ovcr 400 years old.
In about 1670 Christian Jørgensen Ulvøen lived here. He was a citizen of Christiansand and had both money and good social rank. The mooring rights and inn were profitable. Christian IV is said to have spent the night here and the inn was in operation until 1854.
The inn was run by "Mother Ulvøysund" before it closed. She was known and loved from Lindesnes to the Swedish frontier. The place was also probably used as a loading port for oak which was shipped to Holland and England. It is said that there were as many as 72 sailing ships wintering here in 1860.
is best known as a holiday resort, with only one or two people living
here permanently. There is a road leading right down to the sound.
OLD HELLESUND (Gamle Hellesund)
According to an old Dutch sea-chart from 1596, the place was called Olde Hil Sondt.
It was an old customs post and a refuge for sailing vessels. There has
been a settlement here since 1729. In the 19th century a small shipyard
was built together with a beam bench (jetty with a keelhauling slip).
There was a smithy there, too.
A number of shops were started up, including a photographic studio and a milliners. In the house known as Cuba
there was a shoemaker´s workshop with 10 apprentices. The town also
boasted a school and a post office, while the customs station in Langholmsund remained in operation until 1958. The boat connection between Kristiansand and Arendal, which dates from the 1870´s, was essential for the island dwellers on the Blindleia channel.
A beautiful canal providing a new gateway to a pleasant little trip just beside Blindleia channel. The passage is 200 metres. The canal, which was previously an old sea route, has opened the way for boat traffic in to Kirkekilen from Blindleia channel by the Kvanneid fjord.
featuring a coastal landscape and beautiful natural setting. On the
island there are good cycling paths. Privately owned.
Brekkestø is one of the old beautiful outer harbours. Summer guests started to visit Brekkestø before 1900, but it was actually the Oslo artists who discovered it as a holiday place in the summer. Many famous people spent their holidays here. Lillebil Ibsen and her sister came here as children, together with their mother. Gabriel Scott wrote "Kilden" and "Himmellosen" here, while Nils Kjær was famous for his "Brekkestø Letters".
was a regular guest and used the people here as subjects for his
pictures. Boating thrives here in the summer, and it has become a
popular meeting place for yachtsmen. Brekkestø has a public jetty, summer shops, fuel sales outlet, post office and toilets.
view from the bridge is fantastic and the natural surroundings here are
very beautiful. Navigation under the bridge is detailed but supposedly
not difficult, as there are no tides and very little current. Blindleia channel is thus a very popular site for summer tourists in small vessels.
On the way to Kokkenes you can find the Lillesand´s oldest house, "Sandra Svendsens hus". It was built in 1723 by a sailor, Søren Berntsen. Lars Christian Langaard, grandfather of the tobacco magnate Conrad Langaard,
lived there at the beginning of the 19th century. The house is still
intact and has its original exterior and windows. It is listed under
the Act of 1924.
In addition to being famous for its
architecture, Lillesand is also known for its displays of flowers in
the summer. A guided trip around the town, meet at Tollboden. The
customs house was probably built in the 1730´s and was first used as a
customs house in 1834. Originally a quay warehouse. The house with the
mansard roof across the street was the customs officer´s offcial